[SATLUG] Ubuntu first impressions

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 10:51:25 CDT 2011

After the meeting on Wednesday, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my system.

The DVD booted fine and the install started.  I was allowed to specify
where I wanted to install and I created a new partition (sda16) for it.
There was a choice about where to install a bootloader and I chose sda16.

  After about 1-15 minutes, the DVD tray ejected and I got a full screen
of error messages that seemed to relate to the DVD.  I had no choice but
to power-cycle the system.

I tried again with the same results.

On the third try, I told it to install the bootloder to /dev/sda and
this time, even though I got the same error messages at the end of the
install, the new system was available to me upon boot.  It did destroy
the nice custom grub configuration that I had.  Luckily, I made a backup
because I suspected they would do that to me.

Getting used to the software installer took me a little time just
because I wasn't used to it, but it seems to work well.  The selection
of packages is very good.

I was able to reconfigure the network connection to use a static IP
address with little problem (DHCP is not very good if you want to ssh
into a system).

The video configuration was OK.  I don't really care for the look and
feel of Gnome, but that is not a Ubuntu specific problem.  I did load
some KDE packages, but in my opinion the KDE4 look is not as clean as KDE3.

The startup sequence uses upstart instead of sysvinit and that seems
like it is overly complicated to me.  Many of the start scripts are
links to /lib/init/upstart-job.  That's only a 73 line script, but it
seems like an unnecessary complication to me.

I had to specifically install vim.  The default was to old plain vi and
that is much more inconvenient.  The install was straight forward though.

Overall, if you are installing this distro as the only OS on your
system, it is probably fine.  The criticisms I have are primarily those
that affect a more advanced user and some personal look and feel issues.

I think many will like this distro a lot.

   -- Bruce