[SATLUG] Ubuntu first impressions

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:00:49 CDT 2011

bryan at beicker.com wrote:
>> The DVD booted fine and the install started. I was allowed to specify
>> where I wanted to install and I created a new partition (sda16) for it.
>
> Also note that the installer can correctly setup a GPT partition table
> for those of us with 3TB hard drives and UEFI instead of a BIOS.
>
> Most software, including the default fdisk/cfdisk found on most distros
> still can't do this.

On my older system, I have util-linux-ng-2.12r (fdisk) that I installed
in 2005 and it allows partitions of type EFT GPT.

 From 2007:  Linux Creating a Partition Size Larger than 2TB
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/fdisk-unable-to-create-partition-greater-2tb.html

This is using GNU parted.

I don't think that this is a recent change.  It just has become more
popular because drives larger than 2T are generally available.

The problem is that the BIOS needs to recognize a GPT partition table in
order to be able to boot and that is only generally available for an EFI
BIOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

There is also the problem that disks larger than 2T use a 4K sector size
and the BIOSes of most current system only want to boot by loading the
1st physical 512-byte sector of the drive.

http://lwn.net/Articles/377895/

>> Getting used to the software installer took me a little time just
>> because I wasn't used to it, but it seems to work well.
>
> Remember there are at least 3 ways to install programs:
>
> 1) At the terminal, example "apt-get install vim"
> 2) Using a GUI such as "synaptic" (the GUI that you would use in Debian)
> 3) Using a GUI such as "Ubuntu Software Center" (specific to Ubuntu)

Here is my preferred method:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/vim.html

>> I don't really care for the look and
>> feel of Gnome, but that is not a Ubuntu specific problem. I did load
>> some KDE packages, but in my opinion the KDE4 look is not as clean as
>> KDE3.
>
> Since you are a KDE user, you may prefer the Kubuntu variant
> (http://www.kubuntu.org/) of Ubuntu instead.  Might save you a little
> bit of configuring and package installing.

As I said before, I really like the KDE3 look and feel, but not the KDE4
version.  To get back to KDE3 there is Trinity:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Lucid

but I don't think it is officially supported by Ubuntu yet.

   -- Bruce