[SATLUG] Fwd: TEKsystems - SATLUG Sponsorship

Kyle Chrisman kyle at kylechrisman.com
Sat Apr 16 19:22:46 CDT 2011

Lets not go down this road...

The way into Rackspace from a recruiting standpoint is very narrow.
They are not likely to find their way in this way if their intentions
are to recruit for Rackspace simply because that is not how it works.
On the flip side however, bringing a recruiter in through Rackspace's
side doors could be very bad for the current relationship if they start
trying to take Rackspace employees.  Rackspace employees are some of the
best talent in the world and to have a recruiter use SATLUG to get in
would have nothing but negative consequences.  As Rackers, we jealously
guard our culture.

Please do not bring a recruiting organization in as a sponsor at the
regular meetings held at the Rackspace HQ.  I am making this request as
your new primary Rackspace liason/host at the SATLUG monthly meetings
not as the official stance of Rackspace itself.  Even if TekSystems were
to communicate their intentions in writing and we were able to get it
approved... this is NOT a good idea and I am asking you not to even
consider it.

If SATLUG wants to bring TekSystems in as a sponsor for events not
hosted on Rackspace soil I really don't have a problem with that, in
fact I would encourage it just because I know TekSystems having been in
their pool of recruits for years and years.

Rackspace may have some official position on this or process with regard
to bringing other organizations in as sponsors to regular meetings... I
can investigate that if you want.  As far as I'm aware there really
isn't much left to sponsor at the regular meetings as was already
mentioned but if there is lets have an offline conversation about it and
I will see what we can do.

Recruiters are crafty and know how to network.  If they want access to
Rackers they will find their way in... but please do not just open the
door blindly.

I am going to request that the SATLUG leaders talk to me directly if
there is more to say on this.  I don't want to bring a bunch of
bureaucracy into this but Rackspace tries really hard to make sure the
SATLUG needs are met at the monthly meetings so if there a current
unsatisfied need that warrants this discussion of letting others in,
lets please talk about it privately before this gets anymore consideration.

I will follow this up with just saying that TekSystems is one of the
very best technical recruiting firms I've ever worked with.  Granted
they are still recruiters so that can be like comparing used car sales
men but still.  I am a HUGE promoter of their services and integrity.
The few folks at TekSystems that I've had the pleasure of working with
have led me through the doors of some very interesting and lucrative
opportunities like the Microsoft to RHEL conversion NTTA did on their
entire infrastructure a few years back up in Dallas.  I didn't always
make the cut but man they really do see some interesting projects and
they are on my very, very short, top 4 list of recruiting firms that I
will actually work with.

Thanks guys.

Kyle Chrisman