[SATLUG] Fwd: Looking for backup solutions

Richard Suberg rsuberg at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 21 13:08:40 CDT 2011

It's not that I am against onsite backups, that is what we are doing
now. I want to find something more effecient for the amount and type
of data I am backing up. Our data changes so much in 30 minutes, it
would be a significant account impact, along with the service. We
could probably recover from a 30 min data loss, but I can't picuture
still breathing after an entire day gets lost. Everyone would be
coming after me (including management) to find out what happened to
all the sales orders, service orders, invoices, and everything else.
Currently, the MS backup is doing the exchange at the same time as the
rest of the backup, (at 9:00 at night) and I do backup from one server
to another some extremely critical stuff (sql, exchange, system state)
to a Ubuntu box, but that still only runs nightly. I would like to
find a backup solution that doesn't tax the processor much more than
it already is. (Sorry Tom, but the hard drive light is on as much as
the power light now with the jungledisk running.)

Richard

On 4/21/2011 12:23 AM, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Are you absolutely against onsite backups? I'm sure you can build
> something with enough disk space suite your needs. If not you
> could get a few TBs and backup over your LAN. As far as Exchange
> backups go, windows backup can do that for you. I believe it even
> gives you an option to set a schedule for different types of
> backups(full/incremental). You should also look into robocopy for
> backing up your files, it's not perfect but does the job. The
> MSSQL piece you will need to research a little. I know our DBA's
> backup across the network with very few issues. We normally have a
> full backup taken of MSSQL or Oracle on the weekends, incremental
> during the work week. I use forfiles to trim my backups and it
> works really well.
>
> P.S. Excuse my spelling and grammar
>
> -----Original Message----- From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org

- --