[SATLUG] Pulse-Audio Sound question

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 05:53:21 CDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:59 PM,  <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 22:21, hc at lookcee.com said:
>

>> Hi gang
>> Using Ubuntu 11.04 and I can use the equalizer in Banshee. It works great but when
>> listening to online video not through Banshee the sound is often so bass driven it
>> goes beyond what my Bose speakers will set. The main system sound is PulseAudio
>> but there is no equalizer that i can find so the deep booming of the base is very
>> annoying, it hurts. I tried to watch the Steven Hawkings series on everything and
>> the background drumming hurts to much to enjoy it. So my need is how can I change
>> the tone in the basic system audio filter to cure this sound problem.
>> Thanks herb
>

> Well after tons of searching it appears that the video is played with Flash and I can find no way to tap into the sound to adjust it...sigh
> herb
>

> --

Well herb, I tried to play this URL
<http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/stephen-hawking-story-of-everything/>
with my Chromium browser on Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" and it played
the front end commercial fine and then crashed. I have seen this
behavior before with Chromium, flash and Ubuntu. I also had it with
Firefox.
After exiting that session of Chromium completely I restarted it and
played the video fine.
Sometimes flash crashes and a browser restart is the only fix I know of.

If you put your pointer on the playing video a tool bar should appear
at the bottom. Sometimes you have to slide down near the bottom of the
video "screen" to get it to appear. On that tool bar is a sound symbol
like the system one on the Ubuntu tool bar. By placing your mouse
pointer on the volume level setting rectangle in front of the symbol
and clicking once you can reduce the volume.
I also have sensitive ears so I use headphones to have quick local
control. This video is set to full volume by default and is very loud.
Even with the video volume set to minimum I had to adjust my
headphones to get a comfortable volume level.
Or the system sound level gives a very coarse control if you don't
have headphones.

When I had the original sound problem it took years for Linux to get
the driver coding correct for the sound chips I have.
I did not have the knowledge or desire to fix the problem. The sound
should just work.
The problem was also file type specific. I still have trouble playing
WMV files in Chromium. Sometimes I have to download them and play them
with Smplayer (my favorite player).

Sound should be a simple plug-n-play feature for us ordinary users
instead of a PITA...

P.S. I just looked and my Ubuntu 11.04 is using Banshee, which I did
not know. I never looked...
My Kubuntu 11.04 uses Phonon - whatever that is...
The Stephen Hawking video is playing fine on both of them and loud as
hell... Thank God for volume control