[SATLUG] Burned out programmer

Donald L Wilcox dwilcox at neonnightrider.com
Fri Aug 12 10:32:41 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about this for over a year now, and I thought I should ask around and get some ideas.

I'm 25, in school currently finishing (as of last week) a B.S. in Math, and I have thought about a few paths to take after that. Before last week, I was a CS major because I work full-time as a developer, big interest in computers, etc. etc. I've been a professional developer for over 5 years now, and I have to say, I'm burned out with programming--so much so that I don't enjoy it anymore, and I can't think of any other career paths to transition into.

I've tried writing in new languages just to see if I need to code in something other than HTML, CSS, JS, Java, and PHP, but to no avail, and at this point in my career, the work always turns dull, monotonous, and mundane, and I have accepted that no matter what I try to do, I can't keep the interest going.

What I do enjoy is more sysadmin and systems programming stuff (command line stuff, DB systems, server administration) and a little bit of security (although programming security applications is not my cup of tea), but I don't know if moving into a sysadmin role is the right step or if it's even possible since I don't have any certs and not sure my current job will let me get any, and I'm not sure yet if the biz dev roles are my thing either since I've never worked in that realm.

Has anybody ever had a similar situation?

Donald Wilcox
Web Developer
--
Phone: (210) 651-2087