[SATLUG] Burned out programmer

Jonathan Kelley jonkelley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:42:15 CDT 2011

So not to offend those on the list, but devs have traditionally been
horrible sysadmins. This is based on experience from several companies
working with dev teams. They have no concept of system load, what logs are
good for, or what logrotate is used for. They do not see the purpose of
adhering to the linux way instead of their way, they have no concept of
change management, typically little grasp of security and misunderstanding
of how load balancing and redundancy are implemented.

This is fair, as their job is to write code; but implementation of the code
by a sysadmin is hard when the code is written without consideration for the
system it runs on.

As such, you may do poorly in a sysadmin interview as you lack the knowledge
of the system itself. A sysadmin is nothing more then a power user of a
system which maintains important applications. It's different from the
receptionist using Excel because a sysadmins application may take up 90% of
the CPU and memory management and other factors could cause the system to
die; and when it does VP's get upset.

So in other words, you may need to start on Certs and get a job doing
support work to gain experience to build up to a sysadmin level.