[SATLUG] Burned out programmer

Mike Wallace m.a.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 13:20:35 CDT 2011

I know exactly what it feels like to be the lone developer subject to the
whims of others, especially those who don't view the developer's work as
something significant.  It was that type of experience that burnt me out on
a previous job.  When you have a team, even if it is just two or three
others, the responsibilities can be divvied up and it's not all on your
shoulders.  Not only that, but you would have other developers to learn
from, bounce ideas off of, etc.  Of course some teams have Corncobs (see
Project Management Anti-Patterns), but I'd take a team over going solo any
day.  The team dynamic allows you to focus rather than being a jack of all
trades.  It's the time slicing between a plethora of tasks that causes us to
feel "stretched thin."  I've had jobs on teams where I have been very busy
and worked long hours, but didn't have that stretched thin feeling because I
could maintain focus.  Anyway, at the root is still whether or not you enjoy
programming.  If you do, try to find a project or a new job that would get
you onto a team.  If not, then move on.