[SATLUG] Burned out programmer

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Fri Aug 12 21:42:34 CDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 10:32 -0500, Donald L Wilcox wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been thinking about this for over a year now, and I thought I should ask around and get some ideas.
>
> I'm 25, in school currently finishing (as of last week) a B.S. in Math, and I have thought about a few paths to take after that. Before last week, I was a CS major because I work full-time as a developer, big interest in computers, etc. etc. I've been a professional developer for over 5 years now, and I have to say, I'm burned out with programming--so much so that I don't enjoy it anymore, and I can't think of any other career paths to transition into.
>
> I've tried writing in new languages just to see if I need to code in something other than HTML, CSS, JS, Java, and PHP, but to no avail, and at this point in my career, the work always turns dull, monotonous, and mundane, and I have accepted that no matter what I try to do, I can't keep the interest going.
>
> What I do enjoy is more sysadmin and systems programming stuff (command line stuff, DB systems, server administration) and a little bit of security (although programming security applications is not my cup of tea), but I don't know if moving into a sysadmin role is the right step or if it's even possible since I don't have any certs and not sure my current job will let me get any, and I'm not sure yet if the biz dev roles are my thing either since I've never worked in that realm.
>
> Has anybody ever had a similar situation?
>
> Donald Wilcox
> Web Developer
> --
> Phone: (210) 651-2087
> Cell: (313) 478-6323
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/donaldwilcoxjr

You never know when the Maths might point to more programming - I got
burned out programming COBOL and switched to cryptology awhile back, and
ended up getting professionalized as a UNIX system administrator.

Currently I'm a network engineer and am really enjoying it.  I still end
up doing some coding, but what I really enjoy is building LAMPS servers
and using them to work with other architectures.  I've spent most of my
post-military career in the Solaris/Oracle environment, but enjoy
working on RHEL LAMPS development with Scientific Linux.

There's no need to get branded, as we UNIX geeks once did in either AT&T
or BSD flavored kit, as most everything will work together now.  A case
in point was a project I worked on a couple of years ago, using
Balance-NG on a BSD server to load balance a Linux cluster.  It worked
pretty well. We had over 400 webcam equipped users participate in a
teleconference and it handled the load just fine.

Keep your eyes open, because there are always opportunities for folks
with experience to try different environments.

Regards,

Al Castanoli