[SATLUG] Burned out programmer

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Aug 16 20:43:29 CDT 2011

On 08/12/2011 04:55 PM, Alex Bartonek wrote:

> BTW, a change of environment would probably help.  At my previous
> job, I was there for 9 years (coding), I left to where I'm at now and
> that was a big motivator...being with the right people.

Speaking only for myself, I have found that the people I'm working with
(and for) make the biggest difference for me.  If I hate the people I'm
working with (or for), then no amount of money or anything else can make
me happy.  Vice-versa, if I like the people I'm working with, I can work
for 4.5 years shelving books in a library, and still be reasonably happy.

Secondary to liking the people I'm working with (and for), is the actual
work I'm doing.  If I'm doing interesting work, I can work crazy hours
for little money, and still be relatively happy.

Money comes in at a distant third for me.  So long as I'm making
"enough" (which isn't actually a whole lot), then it becomes much less
important compared to the other factors.  But if I could make almost as
much flipping burgers or greeting people at Wal-Mart, then that could be
a serious dissatisfaction factor.

> The person who said "devs dont make good sysadmins".. LMAO.  I must
> be an exception..then again I've been using Linux since '92.   Anyone
> can be a SysAdmin* A-N-Y-O-N-E, even my 13 year old son.

I don't believe that developers cannot be good sysadmins, just that
there is a limit to the amount of overlap in the skill sets -- and more
importantly, a limit to the amount of overlap in the respective typical
mindsets.

The people I've known who have been both good programmers and good
sysadmins have been really, really good at both jobs, but they are
pretty rare.  I've known plenty of decent sysadmins that are horrible
programmers, and plenty of decent programmers that are lousy sysadmins.

So, yes -- a good sysadmin could potentially come from anywhere, but not
everyone can be a good sysadmin.  In my experience, if you don't have
the right mindset and the right approach to problem solving, then no
amount of skills or training that someone tries to cram down your throat
are likely to be able to make up for the difference.