[SATLUG] Burned out programmer

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 22:40:40 CDT 2011

On 8/16/2011 11:36 AM, Donald L Wilcox wrote:
> <snip>  ... switch from pursuing a BS in CS to Math, ... Math is more important if I want to understand theory ...</snip>
>
> Donald Wilcox
> Web Developer
> --
> Phone: (210) 651-2087
> Cell: (313) 478-6323
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/donaldwilcoxjr

Donald -- For that Math degree, how much work (if any) did you do in
statistics?  If that's part of your skill set and it interests you, my
company may have an opening that might suit you (I'd have to check into
it, of course).

Our primary business is Aerospace (overhauling jet engines & repairing
aircraft), but I'm part of a group that focuses on Reliability analysis
(which is all statistics based).  We first compile data on failures
(sometimes using databases that we've developed, other times we have to
perform some data mining to extract data from existing records), then
compile and analyze that data.  We then develop software "tools" for our
customers (some internal, some external) to help them manage their
fleets better by making more cost-effective choices when it comes to
performing maintenance.  We also build some very sophisticated software
simulators to look at how fleets of aircraft will age, what the costs of
maintenance will be, and how that will be affected by the choices that
are made when repairs are made.

The skills that are the most valuable to our group is in the area of
math & statistics (the Reliability side), some computer programming,
databases (designing, building, programming, querying & accessing data),
knowledge of aircraft/aircraft engines, how maintenance is performed,
etc.  As you can imagine, it would be pretty hard to find people with
all of these skills right out of the gate, so we can accept that some
people might need to be brought up to speed in some areas (such as the
aerospace maintenance side of things), so don't let that put you off if
this sounds interesting to you.

And for the record, a lot of what we're working on are totally virgin
territory -- no one else has figured out how to do what we're doing, and
we're constantly trying to push the envelope further.

Just contact me off-list and we can discuss this further if you like.

Al Lesmerises