[SATLUG] Western Digital Cavier Green Drives

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Aug 25 15:37:40 CDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Peter Cross wrote:

> Anyone have any issues in any distro with a Western Digital Caviar Green
> WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard
> Drive <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514>?
> My Seagate 1.5TB got a bad sector and has been in FSCK for over 24 hours
> now.

All drives will ultimately have problems.

One question you could ask is are there any vendors which have historically had an unreasonably large amount of problems?  And the answer to that one is yes -- they've all had an unreasonably large amount of problems at some point in time for some model(s) of drives.

IMO, the better question is, out of the currently available makes & models of drives, are there any vendors who have had an unreasonably large amount of problems across a large population, or conversely have there been any vendors who have had a surprisingly small amount of problems across a large population?

In my experience, WD is to be avoided at all possible costs.  But that's just an anecdotal response from the perspective of a single person.  Based on your post, I'm guessing that you'd probably say the same thing about Seagate.

So, on that I would ask the follow-up question -- Is there anyone on the list who can speak from the perspective of one or more sites that have large volumes of disks, so that you have more statistically significant evidence for your conclusions?