[SATLUG] Western Digital Cavier Green Drives

Lance Schneider schneider.lh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 23:46:43 CDT 2011

I have only ever had issues with the WD Green. WD Black have never given me
an issue. Seagates have been notoriously "frail," yet recoverable. That has
caused me to keep a safe distance if I have a choice .This is one of those
YMV scenarios.  Some of my drives have been in constant use for over a
decade. That has included being without power conditioning or battery backup
of any kind and some nasty crashes. Welcome to HD "Boot Camp."

Along with that - what I have found is the ease to recover *most* hard drive
failures with the tools provided from those two manufacturer's sites. It is
not much comfort if corruption loses valuable data, but I have had long,
error-free operation of drives which once failed but were zero-filled. There
are many spare sectors on these hard disks that are brought into service
during such a format exercise and the drives run fine. The WD Green was the
one that nothing could help. Take that for what it's worth.