[SATLUG] Steve Jobs or Linus Torvalds?

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Aug 27 13:03:34 CDT 2011

I am curious about what Satluggers think about how the media is
focusing attention on Steve Jobs' exit from Apple.  No doubt, Mr Jobs
has contributed and created a great deal of value in the computer world
with his vision and talent.  However, I wonder why I hear superlatives
along the lines of "greatest innovator ever in the world of computers"
without hearing anyone mentioning Linus Torvalds.

Can Jobs be compared with Torvalds, and can their contributions be
ranked? I personnally have virtually never benefitted from anything Jobs
ever did (although I probably enjoyed a Pixar movie here and there) -
I don't use macs, iphones, ipods or ipads.  If I did, the first thing
probably would be for me to put Linux on them. On the other hand, I am
not surprised about the pervasiveness of Linux on mainframes, servers
and supercomputer installations, Linux in embedded systems, cell phones,
routers, switches, and a host of other electronic equipment.

The only thing that surprises me is the continued dominance of Windows,
even though it is technically inferior to both Linux and Macs, and in
my opinion, much harder to use (of course, Linux is the only thing I
ever used - I gave up Windows back in 1994).

My feeling is that the non-commercial nature of Linux makes it much
less talked about than something that can be traded on Wall Street.
But in reality, Linus Torvalds' impact on just about any aspect of
our lifes is probably much greater. Any comments?

(these are just my personal opinions - no flames, please)

-Borries