[SATLUG] Steve Jobs or Linus Torvalds?

Paul Elliott pelliott at blackpatchpanel.com
Sat Aug 27 18:34:43 CDT 2011

On Saturday, August 27, 2011 02:36:47 PM Don Davis wrote:
> On 08/27/2011 01:13 PM, Adrian Malacoda wrote:
> > I would personally rank Richard Stallman above both of them.
>
> Agreed. Someone should write an alternate history short story for ACM
> envisioning what the world would be like now if RMS had had a working
> kernel 21+ years ago.

The problem is that rms believes in the micro-kernel, a seductively wrong idea
from academia that would inevitably sabotage any effort to build a free kernel.

RMS has the greater vision, he created the idea of a free OS+environment =GNU
without which all free OSs are impossible. By Carbonate of Soda, he even
created gcc! But Torvalds had the greater software engineering judgment that
told him to ignore his teacher and build a monolithic kernel that worked.

See:
Lessons of Free Software History
http://www.free.blackpatchpanel.com/pme/linux/history.pdf
Views of Free Software History
http://www.free.blackpatchpanel.com/pme/linux/meaning.pdf
Tanenbaum-Torvalds microkernel vs monolithic kernel Debate
http://www.free.blackpatchpanel.com/pme/linux/ukernel.pdf

GNU/Linux would be impossible with out the contributions of each!

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott at BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J