[SATLUG] A Hardware Problem... sort of

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 28 22:14:58 CST 2011

On 12/28/2011 4:33 PM, Arthur Hall wrote:
> An old Dell was donated for the refugee families and I have restored it to working condition.  One of the problems was that the plug end of a mouse cord was still inserted in the mouse connection on the motherboard.  After discovering and removing it, I had trouble trying to insert another mouse.  Close inspection revealed that the bakelite(?) center prong from the old male was stuck in the mobo (no smart responses required, but all are welcome).  The PC works perfectly well using a USB mouse, but I'm wondering if anyone has a good method of getting the old prong out.  That would give the new owner maximum choice of the kind of mouse he or she wants to use.
>
> Thanks and Happy New Year!
>
> Art Hall
Depending on why that piece was stuck in there, you may not be able to
get the piece out and trying to dig it out could make matters worse
(i.e., you could damage the motherboard in the process).  I would
recommend letting sleeping dogs lie.

But if you really want to try, I'm thinking that you could use a
straight pin and push it GENTLY into the space between the broken piece
and the plug.  Then you might be able to pry the piece out by pushing
the straight pin towards the plug side so that it rolls the tip towards
you and (hopefully) pushes the broken piece out without breaking the
plug itself.  Or you could use 2 pins at once, one on either side of the
broken piece for a little more persuasion.

If you try it and the piece doesn't want to move, I wouldn't push my luck.

Al Lesmerises