[SATLUG] Softmaker & Avast

Christopher Connell connell.christopher at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 01:53:37 CST 2011

Avast just sent me this, I'm not going to do it. Heck I'll be honest I'm weary of messing with the Kernel and also since I'm still green to linux and already have Clam AV working. (I Installed an AV because all my friends use Windows, though I'm trying to bring them to the light side, I mean right side. :-D ) Figured I post the message in case someone does want to use Avast.

AVAST MESSAGE:

"some people might report that avast4linux/Workstation doesn't work with
latest VPS (problem started with 100328-1 for them). The reason is that
"macro"-block in 400.vps is now depacked to something bigger than
33554432 bytes - this is an artificial SHM block limitation in some
Linux kernels (kernel.shmmax).

Solution? Set the limit to higher values (as root):

sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
 OR
echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Place those lines to /etc/init.d/rcS or equivalent file (it's
distribution-specific a bit - see /etc/inittab, the sysinit runlevel) to
have them set automatically (after boot)."

Mark: Yeah I don't might proprietary software when the maker doesn't charge an arm and a leg to get, then limit the amount of installations to 3 (A reload of the OS counts as an installation). The reason I migrated to Linux was Virus protection. Despite my efforts I always managed to pick up a virus/malware. Heck I even picked up one from a church's website that was apparently hacked.

Question: Once you send them the pdf how do they make changes to it?

Also I've noticed if they have MS 2010, it fixes the alignment issues, most times. Except in presentation/powerpoint.