[SATLUG] Browsing problem I hope the braintrust can solve

Scott Hensch sahensch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 10:02:10 CST 2011


I've added the nameservers you suggested, and disabled the one that
were listed. I had a line in resove.conf file Scott-desktop.
I also disabled it. I did not have a host.conf file and created one
containg the info you provided.


On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
>> When you ping and traceroute, are you using the IP addresses or the
>> domain names?  I could be way off the mark, but i would check to see if
>> that install is using a caching DNS server that for some reason is no
>> longer getting results for new lookups.  Possibly a corrupted/missing
>> config file for the local DNS server/settings.
> Scott, I think the suggestion above is most likely to cure the symptoms
> you are describing. I was thinking the same thing - before you reinstall
> you ought to try changing the name server setting in your /etc/resolv.conf
> file. Just for kicks, you may want to temporarily plug in a different
> name server, for example:
> nameserver
> nameserver
> and disable your current nameserver, and see if this fixes the issue.
> Also check /etc/hosts and /etc/host.conf to make sure they are
> properly set up.
> /etc/hosts should have at a minimum this line:
> # For loopbacking.
>   localhost
> /etc/host.conf should look like:
> order hosts, bind
> multi on
> Someone else suggested to check the proxy settings. Unless you
> have a strange setup, this should not be necessary.
> -Borries
> --
> _______________________________________________
> SATLUG mailing list
> SATLUG at satlug.org
> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)

More information about the SATLUG mailing list