[SATLUG] Live backup / hot imaging software for Linux?

David Salisbury david.salisbury at momentumweb.com
Thu Feb 3 16:53:10 CST 2011

 > That can be a bit tricky since other processes may be updating the
partition as
 > you are copying.  You really don't want to copy the partition
superblock and related
 > data.

But, if I'm wanting a full image of the drive (so as to just plug the
backup in and go in case of drive failure) don't I need the partition
superblock and structure data as well?  I know that the partition
content can change during the copy, and with the data/processes on this
drive/system that's OK.  I guess I'd just like to be able to make a
full, fully-bootable copy of a drive without having to shut down the
machine that it's running on, if I can.

Oh, and I'd tried the copy command before with "cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb",
but sometimes the result in /dev/hdb would work and would boot and
sometimes it wouldn't, even after booting with a rescue disc and
repairing anything bootloader-related.  I was just curious if there's
something that will do this type of backup on a more "consistent" basis.
David