[SATLUG] Gaming on Linux

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:20:50 CST 2011

In general, gaming performance is not up to par via the various
virtualization platforms for various reasons. Being able to directly hit the
hardware will always be the best option (speaking of video card
drivers/code/etc.)

The major issue with porting to platforms has to do with the video graphics
performance. There are also minor issues with compiling code across
platforms. In order to make it 'easy' (and I say that oh so lightly lol),
there would need to be a cross platform graphics environment like DirectX
and OpenGL in which the developers could code once and run on
Windows/Mac/Linux. The problem is that Microsoft has invested so much time
in their proprietary stuff and most of the major game houses have done so as
well. It's going to be hard to break them of that habit although there have
been some recent efforts that look promising. The whole cross compiler
movement may help over time as well.

I pretty much gave up gaming on PCs when I got out of college because I was
tired of the endless upgrade cycles for hardware as the game code became
more bloated and game houses put more effort into 'awesome' graphics and far
less into good game play. I now almost exclusively game on consoles (when I
have time) or I play simple 2D games on my iPhone or iPad. That market will
soon eclipse (if it hasn't already) the traditional PC and console gaming
market. Aside from the low cost of the games (typically 1-10 dollars), the
portability of the platform is appealing to so many people. Also, these game
houses are focusing more on game play than on graphics (due to platform
limitations.) I much prefer playing games on my iPad to on a console, unless
it is a game like COD where a massive flat screen translates to a reticle
that is larger than life.

I'm sure there are many other opinions out there, but I'm also sure I am not
alone. I guess it just depends what games you like to play and where you
like to play them.

Ernest

                  -o)
                   /\\