[SATLUG] Gaming on Linux

Peter Cross pjcrux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:25:15 CST 2011

my 2 cents as a member of a Linux organization fighting to sustain a
profitable business model:

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Christopher Connell <
connell.christopher at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't have any intention of doing any hardcore gaming, but I'd like to
> see what the group thinks of the idea of gaming on linux.

> 1) In particular your thoughts on Cedega, VMware, Parallels, KVM,
> Wine/Crossover, etc

virtualizing any game can be problematic at best. I've not had much success
with Wine and games. I can't speak to much to VMWare and the others though.

> 2) Do you think/what would it take for major Game Developers to port games
> to Linux?

Market viability and profitability. I have not seen a business model yet
that attracted scores of game developers to Linux. I consider myself lucky
that I live in a free country with an open capitalistic market base economy.
However, attracting individuals to a platform that someone doesn't know is
tough to say the least. I speak of this as the Marketing/Community Manager
of Amahi <http://www.amahi.org>. We've had luck in the last few months due
to MS announcing that drive extender was being removed from Vail (next gen
of WHS). It often takes a critical mistake for someone to want to adopt a
different operating system. The market is hard enough to get someone to
capitilize someone for 18 months for a startup to get on it's feet. Giving
venture capital is risky enough as is, then throw in an open source platform
and the profitability of the product diminishes in the eyes of the VC
because you do not have proprietary rights to the product.

> 2b) Do you think they stick to mostly Microsoft Windows because more users
> use that OS or do you think it more about Microsoft's business practices
> (e.g. Approaching game developers like they did with manufactures to have
> their systems carry Windows?

maybe a little of both. Often people take the road with less risk. If the
platform is mature, has already shown profitability, and still has the
capacity for innovation then people will stick with it to continue to
develop products.

> 3) Also what's your favorite games for linux? Me: I seem to be returning to
> these games: Uplink, Metal Blob Solid (Really addicted to this one) and
> GLTron

I'm a sucker for FreeCiv (or civilization in Windows). Without a doubt it's
my kryptonite. It used to be that if you put a machine in front of me with
it loaded then you could forget about me doing anything other than playing
that game for as long as I could stay awake. yet those days are behind me,
it's funny how your first child changes the outlook and priorities in your
life.

--
Cheers!

Peter J. Cross