[SATLUG] Live backup / hot imaging software for Linux?

siffland siffland at emailgroups.net
Fri Feb 4 18:18:06 CST 2011

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:19:18 -0600
David Salisbury <david.salisbury at momentumweb.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good backup software that can clone an entire
> drive into an image while said drive is running?  Something like
> DriveImageXML, but for Linux.  I've tried just copying
> partition-to-partition (/dev/hda to /dev/hdb, for example) and using
> dd, with somewhat mixed and unpredictable results on the copy.  What
> is the best way to get a hot image of a disk in Linux?
> David

Are you talking about cloning a running Linux system.  Storix costs
money but does a great job of backing up and restoring an entire Linux
system.

http://www.storix.com/

We use it at work for our RHEL servers, for recovery and upgrades.  It
handles LVM or just regular partitions.  You can clone to new hardware,
choose new disks during the restore, resize the volume group or logical
volumes. It backs up all information to an external USB drive.  There
is a free unlimited 30 day trial.  We have used it to image or re-image
servers well over a thousand times never had any problem.  The backup
is hot.  We just use it to backup the OS, but you can back up all
volume groups and all data.

Sean