[SATLUG] Live backup / hot imaging software for Linux?

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Feb 6 01:33:46 CST 2011

On Saturday, February 05, 2011 07:30:42 pm John Pappas wrote:
[...trim...]
> In terms of a on-the-fly imager (ala Acronis or DIX) for static
> partitions/disks, you need something that has/provides/uses snapshotting or
> similar.  I have no direct experience with any non-LVM snapshotting for
> Linux, as most use cases allow for cold-clone so live snapshots gain little
> benefit.  For those use cases where live clone is needed, I use LVM.
>
> I look forward to other's feedback and the potential solution (can't have
> too many tools in one's toolbelt).

Yeah John..
Acronis "True Image" is the name of he product:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

I spoke with their devs about it back in 2005ish..  It's a kernel level wedge
to kind of do what LVM copy on write does for backups.. Appears to be a nice
turn-key/commercial solution with full, incrimentals, diffs, etc.

For my desktop at work.. I start off with a cold-clone by booting off an usb
stick and cloning drive a to drive b:
	# cat /dev/sda > /dev/sdb
	(much faster than dd)

and then boot the system.. mount the target drive and use rsync nightly from
my /home/ locations.. with an occasional/manual resynching of /.

Works like a charm..

Of course.. many Rackers jusrt use JungleDisk and backup to the cloud. That's
cool (and easy) too.

Tweeks