[SATLUG] Gaming on Linux - Super Maryo doesn't run

Christopher Connell connell.christopher at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 03:12:04 CST 2011

Thanks for everyone's responses they were quite informative.

Mark: You wrote: "I think the Quadro NVidia cards are supposed to have virtualization
instructions." Is that only desktop? Not to found of their work with laptop graphics (e.g. DV6000, DV9000, XPS M1330/M1530) All had problems. I may have a similar issue addressed in John's response.

John: The valve developer community hints at a dedicated linux client in the works. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux
Be nice to see a title like Left 4 Dead on linux without virtualization.

I tried to run Super Maryo. At first there was no sound and I couldn't move character so I extracted sound files to folders and screen turned black when I typed SMC in terminal. A similar thing happens when I play uplink and let the computer go to screensaver. When I Unminimized (maximized) the screen it goes black. With a movable arrow.

When I first installed Uplink it wouldn't run because the libgtk1.2 files were missing. Went to Ubuntu and downloaded them. Then got an .ICEAuthority error on startup.

Typed the following code and the .ICEAuthority message went away.

chown chris: chris /home/chris/.ICEAuthority
Chmod 664 /home/chris/.ICEAuthority
exit

BTW what does the above actually mean?

Anyway not a big deal if I can't play Super Maryo I still have Mario Crossover :-D
http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

Super Maryo v. 1.9 didn't compile used the build-in-game compiler included on sourceforge page.

-Chris