[SATLUG] OT: Gaming on Linux -Secret Maryo? - MS partner's secret bashing

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 7 12:35:29 CST 2011

Christopher Connell wrote:

>As for the other part of the title: Synnex, one of the Microsoft Authorized US Distributor, wrote on their open source page:
>
>"No more technology lock-in. No more monopolies.  BUT Choices for end
>customers!  And we believe open source simply creates better software.
>It multiplies one company's development capacity many times over.
>Everyone collaborates, the best software wins. Not just within one
>company, but among an Internet-connected, worldwide community."
>
>http://www.opensourcechannelalliance.com/index.php/why-open-source
>
>Just find it funny that they'd be ballsy enough to put that on the web. Even though it's true. :-D

Except they may not mean it the way the FLOSS community does. Freedom
does not /just/ mean choice. Note they omit the "use it for any purpose"
part of the FSF creed, and don't mention the patents that let one
company effectively own all uses of a technology.

What they really see is "free labor" from the community to build the
products they can then sell back to them. It's like requiring people to
build sidewalks in front of their homes and then raising taxes because
the neighborhood now has sidewalks.

--
Troy's Lesson: Beware of gifts bearing Greeks.