[SATLUG] OT: Gaming on Linux -Secret Maryo? - MS partner's secret bashing

pcdls pcdls.ronin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 11:13:53 CST 2011

On 02/07/11 18:35, Don Wright wrote:
> Christopher Connell wrote:
>
>> As for the other part of the title: Synnex, one of the Microsoft Authorized US Distributor, wrote on their open source page:
>>
>> "No more technology lock-in. No more monopolies.  BUT Choices for end
>> customers!  And we believe open source simply creates better software.
>> It multiplies one company's development capacity many times over.
>> Everyone collaborates, the best software wins. Not just within one
>> company, but among an Internet-connected, worldwide community."
>>
>> http://www.opensourcechannelalliance.com/index.php/why-open-source
>>
>> Just find it funny that they'd be ballsy enough to put that on the web. Even though it's true. :-D
>
> Except they may not mean it the way the FLOSS community does. Freedom
> does not /just/ mean choice. Note they omit the "use it for any purpose"
> part of the FSF creed, and don't mention the patents that let one
> company effectively own all uses of a technology.
>
> What they really see is "free labor" from the community to build the
> products they can then sell back to them. It's like requiring people to
> build sidewalks in front of their homes and then raising taxes because
> the neighborhood now has sidewalks.

Agreed.  Couldn't people learn their lessons by sticking close to the
GPL license and avoiding platforms that are laden with additional
semi-proprietary licensing in disguise?  That way, if something decided
to "close the source", the remaining support community could just fork
the last OS revision...assuming the software had promise.