[SATLUG] OT: Linux super computer to compete on Jeopardy

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Feb 11 06:45:14 CST 2011

> No the AP video I posted says that watson is that size. Servers that large =
> no doubt require a lot of power and something that complex is no doubt expe=
> nsive so I just put all that together.=20

Check out:

https://www.utexas.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/ranger_supercomputer.jpg
http://www.utexas.edu/news/images/2008/research/2946_ranger_280_187.jpg

(Images for Ranger Supercomputer at the Texas Advanced Computing Center in Austin)
It nearly takes a hall the size of a football field to house this one.
I think they need their own power station to keep this baby running.
I'm sure watson is probably a bit smaller than ranger, but I am sure
your statement is right on. These things suck power like mad (+ AC).

Regarding the 10 refrigerators, you must be talking about the
side by side super wide freezer/frigerator combo.

-b.