[SATLUG] OT IRC, Xchat

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:11:54 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 20:37, <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> Hi guys I have used mirc in windows but left 5yrs past for Linux. I simply
> cannot understand how to use Xchat.
>
> Ny box is Linux-Ubuntu 10.04.2 but never used this Xchat IRC-client. My
> wish is to connect to irc.cuckoo.com and the channel is #techbytes.
>
> It works fine for any server that shows in the list servers window but I do
> not see irc.cuckoo.com and I logged on to several servers and connected to
> #techbyres but in every case I was only one in room.
>
> When I enter irc.cuckoo.com, cuckoo.com or irc.cuckoo in the add server
> dialog box returns not found.
>
> I also would appreciate any safety & security tips u may pass along since i
> am total n00be with IRC, I also am a hermit & true recluse but I am tempted
> to join this twitter thing but i worry about revealing my personal life, so
> tips and advice will be appreciated both on my problem and the
> security/privacy thingy.
> TIA
> herb

with Xchat to connect to a server not listed you do the following:

1:  in the network list window (if it doesn't prompt you with this when
first starting do: Xchat -> New -> Server tab, then Server -> Reconnect and
it should bring it up)
2: click on the 'add' button and a new entry will be added to the list with
a highlighted name of 'New Network'.  Rename it (in your case to cuckoo i
guess) and hit enter.  That entry should now be present.
3: click on the item you just added (cuckoo) and then select the 'edit'
button.
4: double click on the 'newserver/6667' entry and replace it with '
irc.cuckoo.com/6667' and hit enter
5: edit anything else you think you need to set (I didn't) and click 'close'
6: ensuring that 'cuckoo' is selected in your Networks list, click
'Connect'.

that got me there.

-greg