Richard Suberg rsuberg at satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 17 15:30:53 CST 2011

On 2/17/2011 12:33 PM, Daniel Givens wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Richard Suberg wrote:
>> My questions are:
>> 1. Does Ubuntu disassemle the raid assembly to deal strictly with the
>> physical disks and how can I use the RAID setup under Ubuntu?
>> 2. I was going to use gparted to copy the partition from the old RAID
>> to the new RAID when I noticed this "glitch." If I can't use the HW
>> RAID setup, if I get the partition copied to the physical sdc, can I
>> dd sdc to sdd and reassemble the RAID? I am doing RAID 0 (mirror).
>> 3. Any other suggestions to copy all this data? 450 GB partition ->
>> 2TB partition, 500 GB data. Need to preserve permissions, and this is
>> an NTFS file system, stuck in windows.
> So it sounds like it's software RAID. The Windows drivers know how to
present it as a single volume, where the Linux does not. Not 100% sure
on this, but you're probably going to be stuck with managing the data
completely from Windows.
> Daniel
Confirming I finally found it is a software RAID, since on Intel's
site, they had a driver for the RAID for RH. The question then becomes
how successful will a copy from one drive out of the array be without
the other since it is a supposed mirror?

- --
Thunderbird Portable...it goes with me!
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)