[SATLUG] vi as a hex editor/file transfer

Geoff Edmonson w5omr at att.net
Fri Feb 18 11:18:53 CST 2011

I've kicked, screamed, bit*hed, moaned and groaned about learning the
dreaded editing program "vi". (even typing those two letters makes me
shudder!)

however... I've found something it's useful for...

    Using vi as a hex editor

Sometimes I find it useful to switch to hex mode when editing a file in
vi. The command for switching is not very obvious so thought I’d share…

So, open a file in vi as usual, hit escape and type:
|:%!xxd| to switch into hex mode

And when your done hit escape again and type:
|:%!xxd -r| to exit from hex mode.

The REASON I needed a hex editor is that, as part of the ham radio
fraternity, I can say that we're a frugal bunch (read: cheap!)

Recently, at a ham radio swapfest, I picked up a commercial ham radio
repeater. It's a Motorola R-100. What a repeater does (for those who
don't know) is it receives a signal on one frequency, then (usually from
a high vantage point because V/UHF propagation is 'line-of-sight')
"repeats" it on another frequency. Call it a 'range extender', if you
like. Placement on building roof-tops, or tall towers is common. This
allows, for example, someone in their car on the East side of town to
talk (via the repeater) to someone in their car on the West side of
town, when the distance is too great for these to mobile units to talk
directly to each other.

Eventually, once the repeater is programmed and installed at a tower
site, it will then be accompanied by a Micro-ITX computer (small
footprint) a 4gig solid state drive, run headless, and incorporate VoIP,
via Internet Repeater Linking Project to connect to other repeaters all
over the world. Interesting note about the IRLP is, it uses Linux, and
they've adopted CentOS as their host OS. (another Plus for the
Penguin!). For more info on IRLP see http://irlp.net

These old radios show up on the used market all the time, typically from
commercial radio installs that have been upgraded or are obsolete. This
particular radio is currently programmed on the commercial two-way
frequencies, is from the mid/late 80's and is computer programmable. The
hex editing was to change the band-split of the radio to allow it to
cover the Ham frequencies.

Sounds like a simple process, right? Hook up the radio via a cable to
the computer, invoke the program, punch in the new frequencies, save it
and be done... right? Oh, no. Indeed NOT! It seems the geniuses at
Motorola wrote the software specific to CPU clock cycles. Which means
-old- hardware is needed to program the radio, and -maybe- a computer as
fast as a 486-SX 33, running DOS 5.0 machine 'might' be slow enough for it.

Turns out, I found my old laptop back in San Antonio (the aforementioned
486-SX-33) in the form of an IBM Thinkpad 355C. I'm sure this thing was
the bottom of the line, but some enterprising hacker had managed to load
Windows95 on it. I have vague memories of this machine being -way-
underpowered for Win95, and was -forever- waiting on it to do
-anything-. But, it has a PCMCIA slot, a 56k PCMCIA modem (long ago
lost) and all that was needed was a phone jack. Remember those days? ;-)

Assuming the floppy drive is still good, and while I -have- found the
power supply for the laptop, getting the file that I've now hex-edited
(thanks to {{shuder}} vi {{shudder}}) from my openSuSE 11.2 Linux
machine on a dual-core Dell PowerEdge SC430 (with NO floppy) to the
Thinkpad is going to be a chore. I'm pretty sure the Thinkpad 355c was
pre-usb days.

Linux has come to the rescue in many other ways on this project... what
would you suggest to transfer the file from a semi-state-of-the-art
system to an ancient dinosaur of a system?

-Geoff