[SATLUG] vi as a hex editor/file transfer

scs at worldlinkisp.com scs at worldlinkisp.com
Fri Feb 18 12:59:52 CST 2011

<snip>
Assuming the floppy drive is still good, and while I -have- found the
power supply for the laptop, getting the file that I've now hex-edited
(thanks to {{shuder}} vi {{shudder}}) from my openSuSE 11.2 Linux
machine on a dual-core Dell PowerEdge SC430 (with NO floppy) to the
Thinkpad is going to be a chore. I'm pretty sure the Thinkpad 355c was
pre-usb days.

Linux has come to the rescue in many other ways on this project... what
would you suggest to transfer the file from a semi-state-of-the-art
system to an ancient dinosaur of a system?  -Geoff  <snip>
Suggest two methods if I understand correctly:

1. Attach and email the edited hex file to yourself  (or to someone to
email back to you, and open/download the attached hex file in the Thinkpad....

2. Find/use a PCMCIA to usb adapter and copy the hex file to a usb stick,
then copy the file to the Thinkpad.

Come on Geoff be nice, been happily using vi since 1990.

Lou  K7JFO