[SATLUG] OT: Replacing a power adapter

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Fri Feb 18 23:12:49 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: "Geoff Edmonson" <w5omr at att.net>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 21:25
To: "The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List" <satlug at satlug.org>
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] OT: Replacing a power adapter

On 02/18/2011 09:20 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> A few days ago when they had those rolling black-outs, the power
> adapter for my scanner apparently died.  I don't know if that was the
> cause or if it was coincidence, but it was dead nonetheless.
>
> I found what appears to be a replacement at Goodwill, but it's not
> quite an exact match.  The old one was 12VDC/1.25A output, and the
> replacement is 13VDC/1.3A.
>
> I'm thinking that's probably not enough of a difference to matter, but
> I wanted to get your (collective) opinion or if any of you have had
> any similar experiences.

I don't feel that 1v is enough difference to matter.  It seems it's got
enough current handling capability.

What I -would- watch for, is that the center-pin of the female plug
(coming from the power supply) is the proper polarity.

I agree on both points, I doubt that the board in the scanner is that sensitive. However, theoretically the increased VDC is roun 8% and will shorten the life of the unit. I of course would reason that by time it crapped it would also be obsolete and goferit.
hh