[SATLUG] OT: Linux super computer to compete on Jeopardy

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Sat Feb 19 16:50:13 CST 2011

On 02/19/2011 05:50 AM, Christopher Connell wrote:
> I watched it when it came on TV and though he answered the same as Jennings (e.g. J: What is the 20's? W: What is the 1920's? Alex: No that's what Ken said. )
>
> Still can't believe that Watson scored $50,000 more than Rutter and Jennings. Heck combined he still made 31,547 more. Since Watson runs on Linux that really puts other OS's to shame. :-D

For one thing the computer has more time...as the question/statement is
being read, if there are key words in it before the host gives the Ok,
the computer is already getting the answer...then if the probability is
goood that the computer has a viable answer, it starts the ring-the-bell
action before it answers.  This could give the computer maybe 2 seconds
to finish its answer before having to give the answer.  And it might
even keep on trying to find the answer in case its original answer was
wrong and it had a second change at getting the answer right.

Its really no big thing as most of the newer air-to-air missiles use
time compress to track their target.

Walt