[SATLUG] Southwest Airlines Web Site

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 03:39:40 CST 2011

On 2/19/11 1:10 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Nate Turnage wrote:
>> Easy, there, Charlie. This site was built by GSD&M in Austin, and
>> they're pretty good at what they do. The site is built with .NET, but
>> GSD&M is probably a mixed environment of Macs (for the designers) and
>> Windows PCs (for the web developers). The Southwest site has surely
>> been tested on both of those platforms, in multiple browsers. And if
>> the site has been tested in both mozilla and webkit browsers on those
>> platforms, then surely it is the fault of Google and the Mozilla
>> Corp. that it doesn't work on linux.
>
> Well, I'm not impressed.  The site main page has 74 html errors and 93
> html warnings.  There should be *no* os dependencies in a web site.
> It doesn't matter if I'm using BSD, Hurd, or OS/2.  As long as the
> browser is W3C compliant, the web page should run properly.

I said they are good at what they do, but you're right, the site doesn't
validate. Could be a [shudder] Sharepoint site. Those sites never
validate. For some reason, it is very difficult to set a doctype
(southwest.com has none), and the code doesn't follow a strict HTML or
XHTML structure. So there is nothing for the validator to check it against.

But there are a number of properly coded sites that do not validate
either. Some of the best HTML5 sites on the web don't fully validate.

~Nate