[SATLUG] OT: Linux super computer to compete on Jeopardy

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 09:41:22 CST 2011

While IBM's achievement with Watson rightly commands
great respect, a couple of items ought to be kept in mind:

1.  Watson got its questions as text scripts in electronic
form so it was doing no speech recognition.  While this
was briefly mentioned on the TV program, I think many
viewers thought Watson was replying to Trebeck's voice.
On the show it appeared that Watson was responding to
a spoken voice.

2.  The technology used in Watson is far more expensive
than what can be employed in the average doctor's office.
For this forseeable future its capability would be available
only thru some kind of time sharing system or at the largest
hospitals.

BTW, there will surely be a big lawsuit over "Dr. Watson"
as I'm sure MS has the term copyrighted.

Howard
--
Howard Haradon
San Antonio, TX  USA