[SATLUG] dead drive?

Robert Waldo rjw6844 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 15:06:07 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Renee Dockery <rdockery84 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was "shredding" the hard drive on my husband's old laptop using an Ubuntu
> 10.4 live cd. It was going okay until pass 3 it started saying "shred:
> /dev/sda: fdatasync failed: Input/output error". I've tried finding help
> with this on the internet, but the only similar incident I found suggested
> drive failure.  Any of you know what that error message means? Did the
> drive
> die during the shred process?
> Thanks for any help!

Depending on the make of the computer, I would do a diagnostic on it to
verify the Hard drive.  I know Dell and Lenovo have internal diagnostics to
do it.  If not, maybe the make of the Hard drive have an online diagnostic.
 Western digital has one, and I'm sure seagate has one too.

--
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones
slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much