[SATLUG] dead drive?

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 16:32:37 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Renee Dockery <rdockery84 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was "shredding" the hard drive on my husband's old laptop using an Ubuntu
> 10.4 live cd. It was going okay until pass 3 it started saying "shred:
> /dev/sda: fdatasync failed: Input/output error". I've tried finding help
> with this on the internet, but the only similar incident I found suggested
> drive failure.  Any of you know what that error message means? Did the
> drive
> die during the shred process?
> Thanks for any help!

See if you can check the S.M.A.R.T. error log (smartctl -l error /dev/sda).
 Sometimes a nearly failed drive will suddenly kick the bucket with that
kind of thrashing.  One of my hardware burn-in tests back in the day was to
run bonnie++ to thrash the drive for 30 minutes then check the SMART log for
anything unusual.