OT:[SATLUG] dead drive?

Christopher Connell connell.christopher at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 10:12:15 CST 2011

Geoff,

Possibly or a bad sector on a hard drive. As for onboard diags my MT1607 didn't come with one. It did come up with a recovery partition but I overwrote that:
http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medialess/MLXPH2/MLXPH2faq6.shtml

Renee,

Thinkpad's are tough little machines. Even if they are the older R series. HDD also aren't that expensive. The cheapest I've seen in town are from PC Outlet or Altex (Think some are Refurb or system pull drives. You said it's from 2004. You should be able to get an IDE for around $50 or $60. Or splurge a little for an SSD: http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/32GB_KingSpec_2_5-PATA_IDE_SSD_Solid_State_Disk-MLC_Flash-SM2235_Controller/index.html

If you or someone you know owns a business you could order directly from the company they buy from (Evertek).