OT:[SATLUG] dead drive?

Renee Dockery rdockery84 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 15:11:17 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Christopher Connell <
connell.christopher at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Geoff,
>
> Possibly or a bad sector on a hard drive. As for onboard diags my MT1607
> didn't come with one. It did come up with a recovery partition but I
> overwrote that:
> http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medialess/MLXPH2/MLXPH2faq6.shtml
>
> Renee,
>
> Thinkpad's are tough little machines. Even if they are the older R series.
> HDD also aren't that expensive. The cheapest I've seen in town are from PC
> Outlet or Altex (Think some are Refurb or system pull drives. You said it's
> from 2004. You should be able to get an IDE for around $50 or $60. Or
> splurge a little for an SSD:
> http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/32GB_KingSpec_2_5-PATA_IDE_SSD_Solid_State_Disk-MLC_Flash-SM2235_Controller/index.html
>
> If you or someone you know owns a business you could order directly from
> the company they buy from (Evertek).

If it were just the hdd, I'd just replace it. The battery is also dying
(replaceable, I know). The power cord is loose in its connection and falls
out of the computer easily. The sound is gone. My husband says his thumb
drives fit loosely in 2 of the usb ports, but they still read. After the
mess with shredding the hdd, I couldn't get it to start up with the cd-rom
any more. After taking out the hdd, that worked again. I tried the system
test on an Ubuntu 10.04.1 live disk, and the screen started acting strange
after the tests were finished. It just seems like with so much going bad on
it, I'd be better off replacing the whole thing. Other than the new memory I
put in a couple months ago, I'm not sure what else is still worth anything.
The reason I shredded the drive was because the machine was going downhill,
and my husband wanted the drive securely erased while we were still able to
do so. Since I only got about 2 1/2 passes done, he figures percussion
maintenance (a hammer) is in order to finish the job.
If anyone has suggestions on what to do with this machine, let me know.
(It's a ThinkPad R40e.)
Jim, do you think your friend would want it with this many problems?
-Renee