Re: OT:[SATLUG] dead drive?

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Wed Feb 23 23:31:54 CST 2011

On 2/23/2011 3:11 PM, Renee Dockery wrote:
> If it were just the hdd, I'd just replace it. The battery is also dying
> (replaceable, I know). The power cord is loose in its connection and falls
> out of the computer easily. The sound is gone. My husband says his thumb
> drives fit loosely in 2 of the usb ports, but they still read. After the
> mess with shredding the hdd, I couldn't get it to start up with the cd-rom
> any more. After taking out the hdd, that worked again. I tried the system
> test on an Ubuntu 10.04.1 live disk, and the screen started acting strange
> after the tests were finished. It just seems like with so much going bad on
> it, I'd be better off replacing the whole thing. Other than the new memory I
> put in a couple months ago, I'm not sure what else is still worth anything.
> The reason I shredded the drive was because the machine was going downhill,
> and my husband wanted the drive securely erased while we were still able to
> do so. Since I only got about 2 1/2 passes done, he figures percussion
> maintenance (a hammer) is in order to finish the job.
> If anyone has suggestions on what to do with this machine, let me know.
> (It's a ThinkPad R40e.)
> Jim, do you think your friend would want it with this many problems?
> -Renee
We have a BUNCH of T60/T61 Thinkpads at work that are all starting to
die on us right & left (video & hdd's have been the most prevalent
problem areas), and it sounds like they're all newer than yours.  I
definitely agree that with so many other things starting to go, you'd
just be putting lipstick on a <name your own farm animal> that would
likely kick the bucket or become otherwise unusable in short order.

Al Lesmerises

Yeah I agree put it up parts sale. I did search on Ebay and lots of parts for sale but few intact thinkpads and even those that only boot to Cmos draw $30-40 bids but maybe someone local on list will offer. I am interested but live rural Bedias, TX so need to ship UPS.

SATLUG has always allowed puters & parts for sale so go for it.
hh