Re: [SATLUG] when will people learn?

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Fri Feb 25 10:29:47 CST 2011

On 02/24/2011 09:36 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> On 2/24/2011 6:36 AM, Geoff Edmonson wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12554499
>>

> "It is going to portray Microsoft in a bad light ..." -- uhhh, YEAH!!!
>
> Talk about stating the obvious!

I don't want to start an OS Bash-war, but just stating the facts;
as long as Microsoft has been releasing software, there's been an
immediate rush, as soon as it was released, to update it because of
-some- issue, be it compatibility, or security.  Bugs abound.

I was dumbfounded when Win'95 came out, and people were lined up at
midnight to buy the software as soon as it was going to be available.
Are you kidding me?  And now, Microsoft is trying to get into the
cellphone business?  Is it any surprise that there's a "problem"?

"...Microsoft in a bad light..."  yeah, right!  They've done that to
themselves for as long as I can remember, and I got into PC's about the
time DOS went from 2.x to 3.0  There was DR-Dos, PC-Dos, a few other
DOS's, including PC-MOS (predecessor to Linux?).... then MS-DOS came in
and took over... and screwed things up.

Perhaps the success Of this now massive Co says a lot for time and place plus the exact correct connections. 'Bill' was serving a page position that his daddy got for him at the time IBM was being hammered to prevent a hardware/software monopoly. He had the connections to offer a work-roun to IBM & had the connections to get that accepted.

The result we see today was that a software monopoly was created and one of the companies that really concentrated on building a quality product was forced to offer for sale its hardware/software instead of lease only.

I do not know why IBM lost sight of it's original principles and literally gave the store away to MS. We view and live that result.

I too bitch at MS for the awful coding and extremely poor performance in the quality of MS product but it does no good.

I therefore lift a toast to those who work so damn hard in protecting OSS and our right to choose our tools and the right to modify those tools to our desire and capability. May the force be with you.
hh