[SATLUG] CPU Fan - Lin. vs. Win.

Eric Haugen erichaugen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 00:52:12 CST 2011

I have a 2-3y/o Acer AMD64 (2G ram) SFF XP Pro desktop that someone
has brought me to work on because it occasionally randomly shuts off
after a period of time. Naturally I thought it was a fan that burned
up, but after opening it up and letting it run, the fan was running
fine.  However, after about 20 minutes the fan would start spinning
really fast and loud and after a few minutes it would shut off.

Since it was only being used as a gateway to Farmville they gave me
the green light to do whatever I needed to do to get it working again.

For S&Gs I decided to load Ubuntu 10.04.2 server to see how it would
run on that before putting XP back on.  Well it loaded fine and ran
fine for days without the fan kicking on.

Tonight I attempted to load XP again and now I am having difficulty
even getting the OS installed without it acting like it did before.

Thoughts?

BTW, as much as I would like to, leaving Linux on the machine is not
an option.  I am just trying to figure out why one OS would affect the
hardware like that and another OS would not.

Eric