[SATLUG] CPU Fan - Lin. vs. Win.

Eric Haugen erichaugen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 09:40:27 CST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Daniel Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Eric Haugen wrote:
>
>> I have a 2-3y/o Acer AMD64 (2G ram) SFF XP Pro desktop that someone
>> has brought me to work on because it occasionally randomly shuts off
>> after a period of time. Naturally I thought it was a fan that burned
>> up, but after opening it up and letting it run, the fan was running
>> fine.  However, after about 20 minutes the fan would start spinning
>> really fast and loud and after a few minutes it would shut off.
>
> It sounds to me like the thermal grease needs to be replaced. I had a batch of Dells that would do similar things. At first, we would just push the heatsinks down when it happened to re-establish contact, but eventually just redid the grease on the whole batch. And by batch, I mean 60 or 80 machines.
>
> If the system previously had a bunch of crapware on it, then that would explain additional "idle" CPU load. Also, over time, thermal grease does break down with lots of heat/cool cycles.

Will check into that Daniel.

Also took Lou's advice and checked out a burn in software...distro actually.

www.stresslinux.org

It seems to work well.  Ran the command "stress -c 1" and it
dispatched 1 hog (funny) and the fan kicked in a little. Then ran
"stress -c 2" and the fan began to spin nearly at the rate of the XP
install. Within 30 seconds it triggered init 0

...off to Altex

Eric