[SATLUG] info, advice training

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:12:09 CST 2011

Robert Pearson wrote:

> Bruce,
> How would you rate LFS (Linux From Scratch) and BLFS (Beyond Linux
>>From Scratch) for learning Linux versus LPI or RHCE?
> The "official" LPI, RHCE certification costs are beyond my pocket
> book. I would like to have the Linux knowledge.
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/>
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/>
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/>

Although LFS is meant to teach, the skill sets are not the same.  In LFS
we are discussing building packages and not really administrating a
system.  For instance, we use no package manager and we expect a user to
have basic Linux knowledge, especially being comfortable running Bash
from the command line.

If you want to self-teach, I recommend 'Running Linux'

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002725

Even though it's a bit old, it still covers the basics.  You might want
to explore http://www.tldp.org/.

I'm sure others will have suggestions.

   -- Bruce