[SATLUG] [OT] Why no cooling fan on older graphics card??

emon emon at lavabit.com
Thu Jan 6 12:01:19 CST 2011

Hi guys

I tried to google for this, but could not get any relevant answer. May I
am not googling right :-/

So here is my question.... I often noticed that the latest model of
graphics cards come in large packaging and have a huge heat sink & a
cooling fan, so much so that the heat sink & fan even blocks access to
the the PCI slot just below the AGP/PCIe card...., but as the model get
older (say by a year or two) the size of the packaging shrinks along
with the Board, heat sink & fan. Sometimes the fan is completely done
away with.

As far as I can tell, the packaging is totally a marketing gimmick; but
I can't understand how they manage to shrink the circuit board, heat
sink & the fan!! Surely it is still the same electronics & it must
produce the same amount of heat!!

So there you go guys.... any pointer/explanation???

Thanks in advance
Emon