[SATLUG] [OT] Why no cooling fan on older graphics card??

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Thu Jan 6 14:34:44 CST 2011

On 01/06/2011 12:01 PM, emon wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I tried to google for this, but could not get any relevant answer. May I
> am not googling right :-/
>
> So here is my question.... I often noticed that the latest model of
> graphics cards come in large packaging and have a huge heat sink&  a
> cooling fan, so much so that the heat sink&  fan even blocks access to
> the the PCI slot just below the AGP/PCIe card...., but as the model get
> older (say by a year or two) the size of the packaging shrinks along
> with the Board, heat sink&  fan. Sometimes the fan is completely done
> away with.
>
> As far as I can tell, the packaging is totally a marketing gimmick; but
> I can't understand how they manage to shrink the circuit board, heat
> sink&  the fan!! Surely it is still the same electronics&  it must
> produce the same amount of heat!!

As processes for producing chips improve, they're able to better
dissipate the heat, and so the thermal production of the newer models of
old graphics cards goes down significantly.

Basically, they build better circuits, and so they don't generate as
much heat.

I think that answers your question?

David