[SATLUG] [OT] Why no cooling fan on older graphics card??

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:58:32 CST 2011

This answer is bogus.  The previous answer was correct.

Modern GPUs (especially nVidia and ATI) operate at significantly
higher temperatures than Intel / AMD CPUs.

They are enormously more powerful than the older generation
frame buffer type Video Cards.  They actually offload work
from the Main Processor or CPU.

Thus the enormity of the generated heat.  But no the manufacturing
processes have not gotten that good yet.  in fact laptops generate
lots of heat.