[SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Thu Jan 6 19:22:32 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: "James Sundell" <zenbound at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2011 16:20
To: "The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List" <satlug at satlug.org>
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

Good Question. You need to figure out the name of your monitor using xrandr.

type xrandr into the terminal all by itself, it should print out something
like this

jmsn at dell:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 2048 x 2048
VGA1 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x
0mm
   1360x768       59.8
   1024x768       60.0*
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   848x480        60.0
   640x480        59.9     59.9

My monitor is named VGA1. next we use xrandr to addmode and setmode to our
desired resolution (be sure it works though, it will try whatever numbers
you plug in)

Using #VGA# to represent the code and your previously stated resolutions
this is how I would plug in the code manually.

xrandr --addmode #VGA# 1280x1024

xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_75.00"  138.54  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1025
1028 1069  -HSync +Vsync

xrandr --output #VGA# --mode 1280x1024

... and that should do it. if this fixes your problem, we can help you edit
the startup scripts to take care of the resolution automatically. If not, we
should take a look at files that we sudo'ed/changed while troubleshooting.

Please Cross-reference these two links for further reading on how to use
xrandr.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-adjust-screen-resolution-on-ubuntu.html

Good Luck!