[SATLUG] [OT] Why no cooling fan on older graphics card??

mark mark at kandm-solutions.com
Thu Jan 6 19:37:05 CST 2011

much of this depends on the model. There are alot of different
specifications for the cards. core clock, memory clock, stream
processors, cuda cores (nvidia) and more. If you can find the specs for
two of the same model, say a GeForce 8800 GT you'll probably notice that
the one with the bigger heatsink/fan has higher specs. Alsa the cheaper
cards will tend to put on cheap fans that fail quickly or don't cool
enough.

Often the company or retailer the cheaper models will not adverties the
detailed specs. Or they will advertise the specs that are good and leave
out the aspects of the card that are not.