[SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Thu Jan 6 19:48:55 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: "mark" <mark at kandm-solutions.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2011 19:31
To: "The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List" <satlug at satlug.org>
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Monitor res in Ubuntu 10.04

you can also do

sudo Xorg -configure

this does have to be done when the xserver is not running
to stop the xserver do

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop (assuming your using gnome in ubuntu)

reconfiguring the xserver this way will create an xorg.conf, usually in
your home or current working directory. The new xorg.conf can be copied
to /etc/X11/ and then edited to suit your needs.

if you need another resolution you can add it to the screen section like

mode "1280x1024"

Mark Yes it is Gnome.
I tried that before I posted but giving the stop command, I wound up with a blank screen .. no CLI nada. I am very nervous using the CLI so I sought help.